Since 2017, a mission to identify endangered heritage and find new sources of funding to restore it has been entrusted by the President of the Republic to Stéphane Bern. From this initiative was born the “Loto du Patrimoine”, the proceeds of which were allocated to the Heritage Foundation. A partnership was established between the Fondation du patrimoine, the Ministry of Culture and FDJ (renewed in 2021 for a period of 4 years).
The sites can also benefit from donations and sponsorships, subject to their eligibility and, for those protected as historical monuments, from subsidies from the Ministry of Culture (DRAC of Normandy).
Projects are selected by a committee chaired by Stéphane Bern according to four main criteria
- – heritage and cultural interest
- – the state of peril
- – the maturity of the project
- – the impact on the territory and the development project
18 sites, selected by the Heritage Mission, will benefit from the financial support of the 2022 edition of the Loto du Patrimoine of the Française des Jeux. Among them is the Haras du Pin, the oldest of the French national stud farms. Nicknamed the “Versailles of the horse”, it was built between 1715 and 1736 in a green setting of more than 600 hectares. Built on the orders of King Louis XIV and Colbert, it bears witness to the classical architecture of the Grand Siècle. This major site in the Normandy region hosts more than 200 days of world-renowned equestrian competitions each year, and offers numerous tourist and cultural activities. The Domaine du Pin is home to a training center of the French Horse and Riding Institute (IFCE), and a center of the National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and the Environment. The project to develop the stud is divided into three parts: tourism, sport and training. In view of the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Haras du Pin will be on the list of preparation centers for athletes. Its architectural heritage is a major opportunity due to its originality, scale and availability.
With more than 16,000 m² of buildings, it maintains a perfect harmony between its architecture and the surrounding landscape. However, most of the annex buildings of the stud farm are today very degraded, in particular two buildings which will be the subject of a large-scale restoration program.
The Carmarthen Stable-Infirmary: the ashlar on the facade needs to be completely rebuilt; a major intervention concerns the roofs and frames, which have collapsed, particularly in the stalls. Once restored, the building could become an artist’s residence with space for horses, or a place to accommodate groups promoting equestrian activities.
The old church of Vieux-Pin : abandoned during the Revolution, restored by the parishioners in 1818, then alienated by the State in 1858 and transformed into a depot for stallions, it is now out of use. Its condition is worrying with holes in the roof of the North and South sides. Following water infiltrations in the nave and the sacristy, the frame is in danger of ruin. Masonry work also needs to be undertaken in view of the numerous cracks and degraded coatings. The church
will host a museographic space for temporary exhibitions.
Masonry, carpentry, roofing and woodwork work, begun this year, could be completed before the end of 2023. On the occasion of the Heritage Days, Stéphane Bern will present a check from the Mission Patrimoine to the Haras National du Pin.